CarbonOffset's renovations...

Expertise and know-how available for all builders from Class Members

Moderators: admin, Kevin

Re: CarbonOffset's renovations...

Postby micah202 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 am

TexLex wrote:
micah202 wrote:...I'd be a bit concerned to put much bigger of a hole into my sprit

Im hesitant to put any hole in it, i was going to build a piece on the end of the pole (ala the way the carbon chainplates are being laid up) to put the pin through.

...not sure whatchermean........gotta picture?? :?
i550 #240 ''carbon offset'',vancouver,BC,Canadah
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby Chad » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:02 am

micah202 wrote:...so a 1/2'' or bigger solid rod is the key??

...what size of bolt does Ron use inside that carbon 'splash'?

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/zoom?una ... Height=416

Not sure if this link works, but it's Ron's "axle" uncovered. Looks like at least 1/2" to my eye...
Chad

Postby micah202 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:00 pm

.......I've decided t'ignore the sprit mechanism for now....it basically works,,and will likely be okay for anywhere but the gorge,,,and since the PDX boats are dealing with some glitches too,the gorge is likely a 'pass' for this year,,,we'll be sorting some other events starting in august.

...sooo,I've been progressing on other items required to get back on the water...
...the paint's mostly done,,'cept for some details,,I did a pretty -fast- job for the standards I usually do professionally,
,,,I kept the glassing stage as clean as possible so that I can use the cloth texture as a tread-base,,,and done a 3tone job with white gloss edging,,light-grey side-tanks--and darker grey floor,,,so hopefully one's eyes will be kept busy enough to miss the lack of detailing!! :?

....there's some new pics up,,,a couple of shots under the floor,through the 1'x2' floorhatch,,... the boat's now got lots of drainage holes through all the bulkheads so any water can drain from the stern-plugs when parked,,,and is now designed for good flow-through ventilation to prevent condensation issues.
,,,,,,,,and details of my 'cup-holder-hatch'....I REALLY dislike using plastic hatches in the playspace,,too easy to end the day if one's stepped-on and broken :shock: ,,,so I fab'd the little carbon cupholders to replace these hatches--serves another purpose well!!! :D ..................... http://www.flickr.com/photos/59103003@N05/
.....if yer click on a foto,,there's a description below,and also a section for comments!....

..some good news in the NW,,,there's a group build forming in vancouver....sound both enthusiastic -and- organized
...a good combination! :D
......please be surre to user a resperarator ,espectially doing largger areasa of epoxy.
.....utherrwise,yerulll endap takling uhnd rithing rike ah do--NAHT GUD,ehnytime
micah202

Postby micah202 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:36 am

got a question from 'jmac129' said:
Hi Micah, U seem to have made yr keel slot square but yr keel is shaped. What are you using to take up the space? Did u say a type of foam? If so what is it and is it durable? I am planning on sq keel slot with sq top keel but I like yr idea. The white blocks locate the keel in the slot by your description? #203

hi Jmac,,,,don't know how to reply through flikr,,,,
.....the white blocks are high density plastic,,they bolt onto the top of the keel-blade,,,lock it in place when the keel's down,,,so the keeltrunk is a bigger rectangle,but has a slot either side for the blocks to fit in.
.....the blocks are bolted such that the bolts in theory can(in theory) sheer upon impact,leaving the top-plate to stop the keel from dropping out the bottom,and the boat to limp home in such an event.
....excess space was taken up by putting plastic bags into the extra space,and pouring 2 part foam into them.,with 2 part foam,
you mix to parts together,,pour into place ,then the liquid bubbles up and expands ~7-12 times(?) it's volume.,so the foam fills the space nicely,the bags seal it from soaking water,and it all absorbs impact....hope that helps! ;)
micah202

Postby micah202 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59103003@N ... 0139820618

...almost ready to roll!
...some fast and furious efforts**,,and Carbon's about ready to go,,layed-up the hatchway panel after dark,
,,,all I had left was a sheet of carbon/kevlar :shock: ......oh well it should look good!

....stay tuned for a race report from portland....back to 'adventures' of Carbon :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107&p=3392#p3392

**,,,alongside ALL the rest of life's business!
Last edited by micah202 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
micah202

Previous

Return to Building an i550